5 Reasons You Need Strength Training
Strength training is one of my most favorite topics to address with women in the area of improving their health and wellness now and staying healthy and strong for the course of their lifetime. Let's just recap a few of the benefits of why strength training is so vitally important for women.
1. Builds Bone Density: Unexpected falls put countless numbers of older adults in the hospital every year, and the ramifications of broken bones can be devastating. Strength training helps to maintain and build strong bones.
2. Builds Muscle Mass: Strength training builds muscles and helps keep you from losing muscle, which from the age of 30 on, you are naturally losing due to the aging process. (Now, this doesn't mean turning you into the incredible hulk, but it does mean building a strong you who can lift your own groceries, push your own lawnmower, and pick yourself up if you fall down.)
3. Decreases Body Fat: Strength training helps you maintain a healthy weight which is especially important when it comes to preventing many diseases that come with aging.
4. Improves Mental Health: Strength training lowers depression, increases self-confidence, boosts mood, improves sleep, increases your energy, and reduces menopausal symptoms like night sweats and hot flashes.
5. Lowers the Risk of Chronic Disease: Strength training helps to lessen the symptoms of chronic conditions such as arthritis, osteoporosis, diabetes, obesity, back pain, and depression.
So let's get to it!
Here's a video from our chatty gal Paula B for a total body toning and strength training workout you can do from home. Pay attention to the distinction she makes between toning and strength training and using "light for you" vs "heavy for you" weights and how to vary them throughout your workout to get both toning and strength training benefits. Enjoy!!!